FAO Boyd

Jokes, misc websites, useless info, etc. Post messages that will appeal to everyone, everywhere.
JPExpress
Stanton
Stanton

FAO Boyd

Post by JPExpress »

Just picked this up:

pretty nice. I digging these double cask scotches. Adds a little more complexity. I really like the subtle sweet sherry finish. I'd really like to try their A'bunadh.

Aberlour a'bunadh is a natural single cask strength malt whisky. Taken directly from specially selected sherry casks it is bottled as simply as possible without the use of modern filtering methods or the addition of water.

The three main characteristics that distinguish Aberlour a'bunadh from the other single malts are:

Original Cask Strength means that the whisky is bottled at the strength of the cask, which in the case of the first batch of a'bunadh is 59.6%. Not diluted, the whisky possesses a greater aromatic complexity. Most malts of the old days were cask strength.

Not Chill-filtered. Today most malt whiskies are chill-filtered to prevent the whisky becoming cloudy when adding water or ice. This process, which did not exist in the 19th century, removes some richness and mouth feel as well as some fruit and sherry character. Aberlour a'bunadh is a true replica of the old days' malts.

Only the best Sherry Butts, which previously held oloroso, have been selected by Douglas Cruickshank, Aberlour's Distillery Director. These casks are the rarest and the most precious used for whisky maturation. Again, they were used in the old days when sherry was imported from Spain in casks which were then left empty sitting in UK ports or ships.
a'bunadh Batch List
Batch number Alcoholic strength Approximate year
1-5 59.6% 1997
6 59.9% 1999
Silver Label 58.7% 1999
7 59.9% 2000
8 60.2% 2001
9 60% 2002
10 59.8% 2003
11 59.8% 2003
12 60% 2004

Tasting Notes...
A 19th-century-style whisky matured exclusively in Spanish oak Oloroso sherry butts, then bottled at cask strength. Dark, luxurious and powerful; a superb after-dinner malt.

Colour
Deep, rich amber.

Nose
An intoxicating aroma of mixed spices, praline and spiced orange, harmonising with rich, deep notes of Oloroso sherry.

Taste
Orange, black cherries, dried fruit and ginger, spiked with dark bitter chocolate and enriched with sherry and oak. Full-bodied and creamy.

Finish
Robust and intense, with bitter-sweet notes of exotic spices, dark chocolate and oak.Aberlour a'bunadh is currently available in France, UK, Duty Free and is soon to be exported to other countries around the world.
kingd
newskool
newskool

Post by kingd »

sounds damn fine to me.

so hey, I'm looking to buy a $60-$80 bottle of goodness. what's your recommendation?
I have Glenfidich 12 and 18 years old right now
GLOBAL GATOR for real
http://www.myspace.com/kingmickyd
JPExpress
Stanton
Stanton

Post by JPExpress »

kingd wrote:sounds damn fine to me.

so hey, I'm looking to buy a $60-$80 bottle of goodness. what's your recommendation?
Glenmorangie 15 year is ALWAYS an excellent start. I've never had the Glenfiddich 18, but I would have to assume it's decent purely based on its age. But if you're in the mood to try something, I'd really like to see what someone thinks about the Aberlour A'bunadh ($60-ish), seeing as we can't get it easily here. They seem to make these fine spirits readily available for the asshole French, and not for the mass consumers in the US.

How's the Holy land for God's chosen people going?
Double Y Chrome
Stanton
Stanton

Post by Double Y Chrome »

JPExpress wrote:

Glenmorangie 15 year is ALWAYS an excellent start. I've never had the Glenfiddich 18, but I would have to assume it's decent purely based on its age. But if you're in the mood to try something, I'd really like to see what someone thinks about the Aberlour A'bunadh ($60-ish), seeing as we can't get it easily here. They seem to make these fine spirits readily available for the asshole French, and not for the mass consumers in the US.

online shopping is the way to go
JPExpress
Stanton
Stanton

Post by JPExpress »

Double Y Chrome wrote:
JPExpress wrote:

online shopping is the way to go
true, but that stuff only ships to the UK
FishnChips
newskool
newskool

Post by FishnChips »

I agree on the Aberlour. For the price it is one of the tastiest whiskeys out there. A bottle doesn't last long around here.
JPExpress
Stanton
Stanton

Post by JPExpress »

I love it when I get the perfect ratio of H2O to scotch
Marro J
newskool
newskool

Post by Marro J »

If you want to stay in the fiddich family, the 15yr Solera Reserve is quite nice for the price. The scotch is rotated through 3 different types of casks (American bourbon and Portuguese sherry etc..). If find the sweetness added by the process makes for a really smooth scotch that is typically found in much more pricy selections.
It's not a real party until the 15 year old walks in sporting his "gat".
kingd
newskool
newskool

Post by kingd »

Marro J wrote:

If you want to stay in the fiddich family, the 15yr Solera Reserve is quite nice for the price. The scotch is rotated through 3 different types of casks (American bourbon and Portuguese sherry etc..). If find the sweetness added by the process makes for a really smooth scotch that is typically found in much more pricy selections.
Cool I'll keep that one in mind. I'm gonna buy it in April though (on my way to Cuba). in the meantime I got a wildturkey 101 proof and a knob creek to hold me until then.
GLOBAL GATOR for real
JPExpress
Stanton
Stanton

Post by JPExpress »

Wild Turkey....Image
kingd
newskool
newskool

Post by kingd »

JPExpress wrote:Wild Turkey....Image
Hey Wild Turkey is not half bad.
I bet that australian party kid drank quite a bit of it when he threw that party together. I could see the turkey in his eyes in that other video where actually takes off his sunglasses 8O
GLOBAL GATOR for real
AXiS
newskool
newskool

Post by AXiS »

I love me some Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Good stuff.
Boyd Westerman
Grand Master Dinosaur

Post by Boyd Westerman »

sheeesh, he's moving posts again.... :roll:
JPExpress
Stanton
Stanton

Post by JPExpress »

makes me feel warm inside. all is good.