Help!!!!

Jokes, misc websites, useless info, etc. Post messages that will appeal to everyone, everywhere.
down4life2k
newskool
newskool

Help!!!!

Post by down4life2k »

I am thinking of buying some tables and since I have no idea how to spin...never have even tried...I was wondering if someone can tell me any negatives about spinning CDs rather than wax. Is there any? I mean, I know that people have the old skool loyalty to spin wax...but are there any actual advantages? Any help would be much appreciated.
It just is what it is...
DBK
Stanton
Stanton

Post by DBK »

Well, there's a lot of differences in models of CD decks... so there's always the chance that you're gonna be playing on really unfamiliar gear when you try to play anywhere but at home... where as most turntables/mixers all have the same basic layout. not to mention, there's a lot of music out on vinyl that you really can't get on CD unless you really nerd out and hit all the torrent/p2p type sites. Not to mention, you need a great deal of computer literacy to be able to convert file formats and burn mp3 & other formats of music into 16-bit .wavs so that they'll play in CD decks. not too many of the CD players out there support mp3s, so you'll have to do plenty of prepwork. And lastly, if you just plan on buying your cds to play, most CDs are mixed, you don't see too many artist albums on CD (with our music anyhow), which really limits the music available to you.

just my $.02
besides, vinyl has a warm analogue sound that can't be replicated.
4james2S.0
Stanton
Stanton

Post by 4james2S.0 »

Vinyl does seem to have better sound, but cd's are extreamly cheap. And just as some things don't come on cd's the same thing can deffinately be said for vinyl. It really depends what styles you prefer to play. For instance there aren't nearly as many places to legally download dnb, as there are for house and breaks.

You probably need to know how to play on both turntables and cd's these days. I like vinyl and I've recently gotten into the cd's a good bit. It's really cool when you can get your hands on a lot of good tracks that would have never been produced in enough quantities to make it here. I haven't bought many records lately, but I have gotten a whole lot of mp3's.
http://www.demostreams.com/?ID=JamesDupree
Mr.CASH wrote:i<3 me too,we should go bowling:P
DBK
Stanton
Stanton

Post by DBK »

I agree with all of that... except for one minor point
For instance there aren't nearly as many places to legally download dnb, as there are for house and breaks.
next month Chemical Records is going to be selling mp3s from their site, there will be an ultimate database of mp3 drum & bass available immediately. But I do definately see what you're saying, devils advocate and all :thumright:

...Some Dj's, like Nemesis, do an amazing job of working both vinyl and cds together. I think anything that pushes the music that far forward is a positive thing.
vicocet
newskool
newskool

Post by vicocet »

no advice, seeing as how i don't care about spinning. good to see you back though.
I don't do drugs, I am drugs.

Post by Guest »

get both and become a super-dj
4james2S.0
Stanton
Stanton

Post by 4james2S.0 »

DBK wrote:I agree with all of that... except for one minor point
For instance there aren't nearly as many places to legally download dnb, as there are for house and breaks.
next month Chemical Records is going to be selling mp3s from their site, there will be an ultimate database of mp3 drum & bass available immediately. But I do definately see what you're saying, devils advocate and all :thumright:

...Some Dj's, like Nemesis, do an amazing job of working both vinyl and cds together. I think anything that pushes the music that far forward is a positive thing.

word to ya motha....thanks for that little tidbit of information. I had heard about that, but subsequently forgot. (check the AV.) So it looks like I'm gettin a lot of drum and bass next month. :bounce:
http://www.demostreams.com/?ID=JamesDupree
Mr.CASH wrote:i<3 me too,we should go bowling:P
DBK
Stanton
Stanton

Post by DBK »

(check the AV.)
:lol: I know what time it is
down4life2k
newskool
newskool

Post by down4life2k »

Thanks for the re-welcome Matt...I have been MIA since my boi died in a motorcycle accident a bit ago...shit got really real. I am glad to be back though. Thanks for the information everyone...I have been a club kid for some time but neva tried to spin...I think I am up for a new challenge. I am not aspiring to do anything with it...just want to throw down dirty jungle beats at the hiz.
It just is what it is...